5 Things to Consider When Adding a Dormer
Dormers are windows that are usually set vertically on a sloped roof and may even have its own roof. A dormer is usually installed to make an attic and loft spaces more livable and can add to the beauty and value to your property. You can even add it on your metal roofs, provided you hire metal roofing contractors who know what they’re doing.
That said, there are a few things that you, as a homeowner, would have to keep in mind if you want to add one. In this post, Classic Metal Roofs LLC discusses five of these factors when it comes to adding a dormer.
- Your Contractor – One of the important things is the contractor you’ll be hiring. Whether it’s your metal roofing installation or adding a new dormer window to your home, you should always make sure the contractor is one of good reputation.
- The Costs – The cost range of a dormer is not exactly cheap and may even cause your insurance to slightly increase. This means the more space you add, the more you pay. The addition, however, can net you a profit if you decide to sell your home in the future.
- Style – Depending on the roof shape, you can choose a few different types of dormer styles. Don’t worry about aesthetics, though, as your contractor will do their best to keep your dormer roof aligned with your home’s actual roof for the best aesthetics. So even if you do own a metal roof, you don’t have to worry about a thing.
- Permits – It’s a rule of thumb to get permits when it comes to new construction and home additions. This is especially important if your town has certain rules and restrictions when it comes to these projects. Applying for permits generally takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months so you have to be prepared accordingly.
- Size – Take the size into consideration as well. Be sure to hire a qualified designer or architect so the addition fits the house.
Turn to Classic Metal Roofs LLC for your home metal roofing needs. We are your leading provider of metal shingle and standing seam metal roofs. Give us a call at (866) 660-6668 or fill out our Free Consultation form to get in touch with us and learn more about “the best roofs under the sun”. We serve homeowners in MA, CT, NH and RI.