This Month’s Savory Family Favorite Recipe
April 30, 2018 | By Mike Gonet | Filed under: Family Recipes
Oven Roasted “Fried” Chicken
Enjoy my healthy version of “Fried” Chicken without the deep fryer.
(Serves 4 people)
Preheat oven to 350.
- Start by prepping one whole chicken, or 8 individual parts of your liking. You can use whatever parts of the chicken you’d like, white or dark meat or both.
- Next, make a seasoning base by combining all the spices below in the bowl. Note: These may be adjusted to personal taste or based on what you have in your kitchen.
2 Tbs of paprika
1Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs sea salt
1 Tbs thyme
1 ts black pepper
1 ts cayenne pepper
- Make the coating:
- Flour mixture: Combine 2 cups of flour (you may use gluten free flour like “Pamela’s” or any other flour substitute), add the seasoning base, and mix well. Reserve in a bowl.
- Milk: In a separate bowl, pour 2 cups of buttermilk, regular milk, or milk substitute (almond milk, coconut milk, etc.)
- Coat the pieces in the flour then bathe the chicken in the milk, then coat with flour mixture again.
- Heat up oil (I use organic raw coconut oil) about ½” deep on stove top in a sauté pan and carefully brown the chicken pieces on each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Once browned, place the chicken on a baking sheet. I use a wire rack on a baking sheet, but you can place the chicken directly on a baking sheet.
- Cook the chicken in the oven for about 35-40 minutes (depends on the size of the pieces)
Serve with a side of homemade coleslaw, and a glass of hibiscus ice tea for an ideal summer supper!
This can be served cold as a great picnic main dish as well.